SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT MEMO
Everything You Wanted To Know
Week of January 29, 2018
A Note From Our Principal:
Happy National Catholic Schools Week! On behalf of the entire SJF faculty and staff, I would like to thank you for your commitment to your child’s Catholic education. As a mom of children in Catholic education myself, I recognize the time and financial commitment it takes to be an active member of the school and larger parish community. I wholeheartedly believe that the investment you make in your child’s educational career creates the platform for not only their academic foundation, but more importantly a solid spiritual foundation. Thank you for being part of our family!
Speaking of family, we are looking forward to welcoming hundreds of family and friends to our Grandparents and Special Friends Day tomorrow, Wednesday, January 31st. Visitors are welcome to come to the school starting at 9:40am to pick up their SJF student. Students not picked up by 9:55 will head to the church with their homeroom teacher. Our festivities begin at 10am with Mass in the church. Following Mass, we will invite our guests to come and enjoy lunch in our cafeteria, take a tour of our school to see the artwork around the halls, and visit our book fair in the library.
Tuesday 1/30: NO HOT LUNCH (Prep for Grandparent’s Day), 2:00 pm Spelling Bee
Wednesday 1/31: GRANDPARENTS & SPECIAL FRIENDS DAY: 10:00 am School Mass w/ Grandparents & Special Friends, 11:00am Luncheon w/ Library & Art Fair; Happy Birthday Chef Virginia! 3:05 pm Middle School Study Hall
Thursday 2/1: Crazy accessory day!, Progress Reports Distributed, Open Enrollment Ends, 11:00 am Family Group Activity, 5:30 pm PTC Exec. Meeting
Friday 2/2: NO SCHOOL for Faith Formation Inservice (Extended care available from 7am – 6pm-register with Susan Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Wednesday 2/7: 8:30 am School Mass (3rd Gr), 3:05 pm Middle School Study Hall
Playground Duty Schedule Reminder:
Tuesday 1/30: Aman
Wednesday 1/31: Bauer
Thursday 2/1: McDowell
Friday 2/2: NO SCHOOL
Monday 02/5: Allen
Tuesday 2/6: Galluzzo
Wednesday 2/7: Peets
Thursday 2/8: Kolburn
Friday 2/9: Merz
Playground Parents, please arrive at school by 11:20 am to sign in at the school office and pick up your clipboard. You can check the playground duty schedule at any time on SchoolSpeak by clicking on the “Playground Calendar” tab. Thank you for helping to keep our students safe on the playground!
Building our Foundation on Holy Ground
The theme of Catholic Schools’ Week 2018 is “Catholic Schools: Learn. Serve. Lead. Succeed.” Archbishop Sample has prepared a special press release (attached to this SAM) to celebrate the week, urging our church communities to support Catholic schools all week, and throughout the year.
SJF News Video
News update from our middle school tech elective. Please pardon this week’s technical difficulties: SJF News 01-30-18
- A signup calendar for February is attached to this SAM and has been posted on SchoolSpeak under the “Extended Care” tab.
- In-Service Day 2/2/2018 -SJF Extended Care is open this Friday, February 2nd from 7am – 6pm. If you have not already done so and need care, please contact Susan at email@example.com or 503-246-2637. We have a fun day planned for your children. The program will provide a morning and afternoon snack, but parents need to provide a lunch. For children who attend two or more days a week the fee is $30 and children who attend two or less days a week the fee is $50.
Jump Rope for Heart/Hoops for Heart
Mrs. Gray is thrilled to report that SJF raised $9,869 for the American Heart Association through Jump Rope for Heart and Hoops for Heart. Donations came from students’ piggy banks, siblings, parents, family, friends, teachers, and neighbors. Our efforts to collect money for the AHA is a true testament of this community’s generosity, support for staying healthy, and commitment to helping others. THANK YOU!
PTC Speaker Notes from Jan. 24 General Meeting
If you missed our guest speaker at last evening’s PTC meeting, we have presenter Kim DeMarchi’s notes from yesterday’s lecture. Here is a link to a video of the meeting as well: Kim DeMarchi.
2018-19 TUITION ASSISTANCE TIMELINE
FACTS Grant & Aid Assessment will be conducting the financial need analysis for St. John Fisher School for the upcoming 2018-19 school year. Families applying for financial aid will need to complete an application and submit the necessary supporting documentation to FACTS Grant & Aid Assessment @ www.factstuitionaid.com. The following information is required in order for FACTS to process your application. The deadline to submit your online application with FACTS is March 23rd.
- Completed online application
- Payment of the application fee
- Copies of your 2017 tax return including all schedules
- Copies of your 2017 W-2’s for you and your spouse
- Copies of supporting documentation for Social Security, Income, Welfare, Child Support, Food Stamps, Workers’ Compensation and TANF
The deadline to submit your online application with FACTS is March 23rd.
Guidelines for Sick Students
January has brought a lot of illness to SJF. Please review these guidelines on how to proceed when your child will be out sick from school:
- Parents should notify the school office, either by phone or email, by 8:15 am each day a child will be absent from school due to illness.
- Please do not send an ill child to school, even if they have taken medication, in the hopes that they will feel better.
- If a child is not well enough to be outside during recess, please keep them at home.
- Students who become ill during the school day will be held in the school office and/or in the child’s classroom based on emergency need/care. Parents will be contacted to take the child home.
- Students must be fever free for 24 hours before returning to school.
Fred Meyer Community Rewards
Thank you Fred Meyer shoppers! School families (44 households) who shopped at Fred Meyer between 10-1-2017 and 12-31-2017 made $241.16 for SJF. Your can link your own rewards card with St. John Fisher at fredmeyer.com.
Lost and Found
Our Lost and Found closet (located near the main entrance doors to school) is quite full of jackets, uniform pieces, books, school supplies and anything else an SJF student might misplace. Please come take a look!
Friday Institute Online Classes for Middle School Students
The Friday Institute provides free online classes for middle and high school students. They recently launched a one-of-a-kind course for students that helps them to identify their personal learning style, and addresses issues of time management and organization. Additional information and registration is here.
St. Mary’s Academy CYO Basketball Night
You’re invited to the St. Mary’s Academy CYO Basketball Night this Friday, February 2, 2018. Festivities start at 6:30pm, and the varsity game begins at 7:00pm. Come watch the St. Mary’s Academy Blues take on the Tigard High School Tigers. Enjoy free concessions, face painting, raffle prizes, and more!