SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT MEMO
Everything You Wanted To Know
Week of February 5, 2018
A Note From Our Principal:
Looking ahead on the calendar, we have a number of events coming up between now and spring break that I wanted to bring to your attention:
- Wednesday, February 14th Ash Wednesday: Lent begins on Wednesday, February 14th, which is why our Valentine’s celebrations will be on Tuesday, Feb 13th. Our 7th grade students will be leading us through the Mass at 8:30am. All are welcome!
- Monday, March 5th PTC General Meeting: The meeting will begin at 6:30 and topics include updates on our feature PTC events such as our Spaghetti Dinner and the 2018-2019 school budget. Our attendance incentive involves a certificate for a free beverage (21 or older applies) at the spaghetti dinner on Sunday, March 11th! See you there!
- Sunday, March 11th Spaghetti Dinner: From 4-8 pm, our Italian cooks will be serving up the best spaghetti this side of Italy. Ticket information will be coming soon!
- Friday, March 16th End of Second Trimester: Believe it or not…summer is coming sooner than we think! Students will be bringing home their report cards on Thursday, March 22nd and the final trimester countdown begins.
- Tuesday, March 20th Science Fair: Our students will be showcasing their Science work during this fair open to all friends and family of SJF. The event will begin at 6:30pm and will conclude by 7:30pm.
Tuesday 2/6: 7:00 pm Eucharistic Adoration & Rosary
Wednesday 2/7: 8:30 am School Mass (3rd Gr), 3:00 pm Girl Scouts; 3:05 pm Middle School Study Hall
Sunday 2/11: Happy Birthday Mrs. Loberg! M.U.S.E. Winter Band Concert at Central Catholic – Beg. Band 1:00pm, Inter./Adv. 2:30 pm
Monday, 2/12: 3:05-3:45 pm Middle School Study Hall
Tuesday 2/13: Valentine’s Day free dress, 2:00 pm Valentine’s Classroom Parties; 3:30 Tea Party (Auction Easel Party); 5:30 SAC Meeting
Wednesday 2/14: Ash Wednesday-8:30 am School Mass (7th Gr); Happy Birthday Ms. Robinson! 10:00 am 2nd Gr to West Hills; 3:05-3:45 pm Middle School Study Hall
Thursday 2/15: 8:30 7th Gr Reconciliation Service; 7:00 pm Men’s Club Meeting
Playground Duty Schedule Reminder:
Tuesday 2/6: Galluzzo
Wednesday 2/7: Peets
Thursday 2/8: Kolburn
Friday 2/9: Merz
Monday 2/12: Messele
Tuesday 2/13: Dunne
Wednesday 2/14: Connell
Thursday 2/15: Rossolo/Johnson
Friday 2/16: Wantland
Playground Parents, please arrive at school by 11:20 am to sign in at the school office and pick up your clipboard. You can check the playground duty schedule at any time on SchoolSpeak by clicking on the “Playground Calendar” tab. Thank you for helping to keep our students safe on the playground!
Building our Foundation on Holy Ground
Our Maker Service Club students have finished putting their first 3D printed hand together – including cards for the child who may use the hand in the future.
SJF News Video
There is no news video this week. Our tech team did not have their electives class because we were celebrating our SJF Grandparents and Special Friends.
The biggest social event on the SJF calendar is quickly approaching and we need your HELP! This year, the theme of the Spaghetti Dinner is “Simple. Social. Spaghetti.” What better way to support our school and socialize with other parents than signing up to volunteer! Which volunteer role sounds most fun to you?
– Check-in Helper –> Choose from four different shift options!
– Server –> Buffet-style set-up makes this a breeze…
– Bartender –> Did you hear about this year’s Wine Garden??
– Clean-up –> DOUBLE HOURS!!!
Sign-up on School Speak: https://www.schoolspeak.com/Secure/SignUpView.aspx?name=Spaghett&group=2&Community=97219001
Do you have a 7th or 8th grade student? We need their help too!
Thank you for helping us make this the best Spaghetti Dinner we’ve ever had at SJF. Work a shift and stay for dinner; serve others and break bread together!
Knights Pancake Breakfast Feb. 18
The Knights of Columbus and the SJF Youth Group are hosting another yummy pancake breakfast on Sunday, Feb. 18 after the 9:00 am and 11:00 am Masses. Details are on the attached flyer.
Eucharistic Adoraton with Pro-Life Rosary
Join us TONIGHT Tuesday, February 6 from 7-8 pm in the church—the Knights of Columbus will host their next monthly evening of Eucharistic Adoration that includes praying the rosary for a pro-life intention.
All are welcome! Bring your family, if only for 10 minutes, before the Lord in prayer. For more information contact Paul Pompili 503.914.7213 or Sister Dorothy at 503.244.4945.
St. John Fisher Ash Wednesday Mass Schedule
Ash Wednesday falls on Feb. 14 this year. It is a Holy Day (but not a Holy Day of Obligation) that begins the Lenten Season. Masses at St. John Fisher will be on Wednesday, February 14th at: 7:15am, 8:30am, 6:00pm.
2018-19 TUITION ASSISTANCE TIMELINE
FACTS Grant & Aid Assessment will be conducting the financial need analysis for St. John Fisher School for the upcoming 2018-19 school year. Families applying for financial aid will need to complete an application and submit the necessary supporting documentation to FACTS Grant & Aid Assessment @ www.factstuitionaid.com. The following information is required in order for FACTS to process your application. The deadline to submit your online application with FACTS is March 23rd.
- Completed online application
- Payment of the application fee
- Copies of your 2017 tax return including all schedules
- Copies of your 2017 W-2’s for you and your spouse
- Copies of supporting documentation for Social Security, Income, Welfare, Child Support, Food Stamps, Workers’ Compensation and TANF
The deadline to submit your online application with FACTS is March 23rd.
Lost and Found
Our Lost and Found closet (located near the main entrance doors to school) is quite full of jackets, uniform pieces, books, school supplies and anything else an SJF student might misplace. Please come take a look!
Friday Institute Online Classes for Middle School Students
The Friday Institute provides free online classes for middle and high school students. They recently launched a one-of-a-kind course for students that helps them to identify their personal learning style, and addresses issues of time management and organization. Additional information and registration is here.